Things You'll See on Dead End Follies in 2017
Sorry, I've meant to write this post during the Holidays. The site changed quite a bit in 2016: new platform, new image, a change in editorial philosophy, etc. It reflected in the traffic numbers, sure (which slightly dipped), yet brought new and passionate audiences to the site. It's all part of a "big picture" plan that will keep being deployed in 2017. Here are some of the things you can expect from Dead End Follies this year:
- Less book reviews. The era where I reviewed everything I read ON THE SITE is over. Books people actually WANT to read and books I have something interesting to say about will be prioritized. I gave myself a cap of 72 reviews for 2017.
- Better book reviews. Longer, (hopefully) more interesting pieces. Editorial focus on certain genres and authors for weeks at the time. I want the site to become a hub for passionate readers. Don't tell me it already is, that shit's a work in progress.
- Slightly more movie reviews. This is a pop culture site after all. For the first seven years, the content was slightly tilted towards literature and I want to equalize it. My goal is to keep a ratio of one movie review per book review this year.
- Other voices. The site's main goal is to make criticism sexy again, so expect colleagues to drop by and show what they can do. I will try and bring Gabino back. I've already signed up for a Peter Straub read-a-thon with my man Bob Pastorella from This is Horror which starts this month. I'm also on the lookout for a female contributor and I already have someone in mind...
- YOUR book suggestion. Starting next month, I will review one of YOUR suggestions. What book would you like my opinion on? Whether it's a book you've read, one you're on the fence about or something shitty you want me to burn, drop it in the comments here or on the related FB post and I will randomly select one to squeeze it into my monthly reading rotation. I don't want to make it a popular vote yet, because I don't want people to lobby for their own books, but it might change over time if this goes well. I want to keep it fun and unpredictable for me and most important, I want it to be tailored to YOUR interests.
Happy New Year! Thanks for being a loyal reader, Dead End Follies is undergoing some major changes in 2017, but its heart (lengthy, smart reviews) will remain the same and hopefully the next iteration for the site will be its best yet! So, what book would YOU like me to review for February? Drop it in the comments here, on Facebook, I will hold a draw and announce the winner on January 23rd!